Nearly 20 recipients received more than $62,000 in grants through the Pete and Margaret Leighty Trust Fund during a reception Thursday at The Jewel on Main. It marked the largest amount awarded at a time to date. This is the sixth year money has been distributed through the fund. Tonganoxie USD 464, Genesis Christian Academy, 4-H clubs and the Tonganoxie Recreation Commission were some of this year’s recipients.
This week’s Face to Face profile features Tonganoxie middle and high school nurse Heather DeMaranville.
A November trip to the Tonganoxie Public Library brings the opportunity of scribing for what is most thankful. For some, that might be “food and trees and family,” or “for this planet not exploding.” Library staff have made notes available for patrons, whether elementary school students or adults, to post their thankful thoughts throughout the building.
The Leavenworth County Historical Society has launched a $1 million capital campaign to retrieve glass-plate photo negatives taken by prominent frontier photographers more than a century ago during Leavenworth’s pioneer days.
Tonganoxie High fall sports teams experienced many triumphs collectively during the season. Now that the majority of fall team seasons have concluded, many individual student-athletes also have been acknowledged for their efforts.
- Tonganoxie Senior Quilters at 8:30 a.m.
- Clear Skies Mental Health Support Group at 3:30 p.m.
- Adult Victims of Sexual Assault Support Group at 4 p.m.
- Kaw Valley Chorus rehearsals at 7 p.m.
- Tonganoxie Community Historic Site open for visitors December 2
- TOPS Meeting in Tonganoxie December 3
- Tonganoxie Senior Quilters December 1
- Clear Skies Mental Health Support Group December 1
- Cassidy (Coffin) and Jesse Courter.
- Travis and Leanna Shriner, a girl.
- Kevin and Holly Reischman, a boy.
- Jason Spencer and Kimberly Sturgeon, a boy.
- Kyle and Jill Reynolds, a boy.