Jonathan Ferris lives near Tonganoxie’s VFW Park, which has made it easy to collect many Pokemon. The Pokemon Go phone application has become the latest pop culture sensation, and Tonganoxie is no different.
This week’s Face to Face profile features Jenny Worden.
It’s been 90 years since the first installment of the Leavenworth County Fair. The first year, 1926, it was a celebration of a bumper crop of corn in downtown Tonganoxie and the next year corn and apples. The event officially was known as the Leavenworth County Fair in 1928 and in 1938 moved from downtown to its current site along Kansas Highway 16 at the Leavenworth County Fairgrounds. For fair board president Mike Johnson, the event has been a part of his life for more than 50 years.
Tonganoxie police were involved in a high-speed chase early Wednesday morning that led to the apprehension of an escaped prisoner.
Current — and recently former — Tonganoxie High baseball players have contributed to a state championship in summer competition. Dante Nelson, Dominik Novotney and Jordan Brown, who all will be seniors at THS when school starts next month, and graduates Billy Kelley and Tyler Novotney are members of the Midwest Braves team that just won the USSSA 18-and-under state championship last month.
- Tonganoxie Community Historic Site open for visitors July 27
- TOPS Meeting in Tonganoxie July 28
- Tonganoxie Civic Club July 23
- Clear Skies Mental Health Support Group July 23
- Cassidy (Coffin) and Jesse Courter.
- Travis and Leanna Shriner, a girl.
- Kevin and Holly Reischman, a boy.
- Jason Spencer and Kimberly Sturgeon, a boy.
- Kyle and Jill Reynolds, a boy.