Mayor to light Christmas tree in VFW Park
It's that time of year again.
The Mayor's Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony is set for 7 p.m. Thursday at VFW Park. And everyone's invited.
The Tonganoxie Chamber of Commerce and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 9271 are sponsoring the ceremony.
Tonganoxie Elementary School's Honor Choir, led by Sharon Stratton, music teacher, will open the evening's festivities with several holiday songs.
Then, Mayor John Franiuk will deliver a short speech and light the Christmas tree and park.
The choir will sing Christmas carols and those attending will have a chance to sing along.
Amanda Albert, 10, designated herself to read "The Night Before Christmas," because she said she was better than her dad. Pat Albert, Tonganoxie Chamber of Commerce president and council member, originally planned to read the story.
Santa Claus will arrive after Amanda's reading, but not in a sleigh. He will be escorted on a big, red fire truck by a firefighter.
Cookies and other refreshments will be served by the Historical Society.
More like this story
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits
- Linenberger: Brownback's decision on LGBT protections should trigger public action
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck
- Another viable senior living option in Tonganoxie?