Mayor to light Christmas tree in VFW Park
It's that time of year again.
The Mayor's Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony is set for 7 p.m. Thursday at VFW Park. And everyone's invited.
The Tonganoxie Chamber of Commerce and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 9271 are sponsoring the ceremony.
Tonganoxie Elementary School's Honor Choir, led by Sharon Stratton, music teacher, will open the evening's festivities with several holiday songs.
Then, Mayor John Franiuk will deliver a short speech and light the Christmas tree and park.
The choir will sing Christmas carols and those attending will have a chance to sing along.
Amanda Albert, 10, designated herself to read "The Night Before Christmas," because she said she was better than her dad. Pat Albert, Tonganoxie Chamber of Commerce president and council member, originally planned to read the story.
Santa Claus will arrive after Amanda's reading, but not in a sleigh. He will be escorted on a big, red fire truck by a firefighter.
Cookies and other refreshments will be served by the Historical Society.
More like this story
- Demand for farm loans surges amid low crop, cattle prices
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie Chamber of Commerce president Steve Christensen
- Slide in Kansas oil industry continues to stress producers
- Leadership group, local realtors partner to bring SAFE benefits to Leavenworth County emergency responders
- Donnelly given nod to join Port Authority board