Archive for Wednesday, December 8, 1999

IRS seeking taxpayers owed refunds

December 8, 1999

As the holidays approach, thousands of Kansas-Missouri taxpayers may soon be extra thankful. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is trying to locate them and send them their 1998 federal tax refunds.

The IRS is looking for 2,120 Kansas-Missouri taxpayers whose checks were returned as undeliverable by the U.S. Postal Service. These checks total almost $1.1 million, an average of almost $520 per check. They could not be delivered because of incorrect names and addresses or because taxpayers moved and did not give the IRS or the U.S. Postal Service their new addresses.

If you are due a refund and have not received it, call the IRS assistance number, 800-829-1040.

The IRS says the best way to avoid the possibility of a lost, stolen or undeliverable, refund is by having it deposited directly to your bank account. Just put the required bank account information on your tax return. This year more than 23.5 million taxpayers chose this option on their return.

Taxpayers can avoid delays in getting their refunds by sending IRS their new address on Form 8822, "Change of Address," when they move. This form is available by calling 1-800-829 or by downloading it from the IRS Web site at

Commenting has been disabled for this item.