Search for police chief progresses
Selection committee narrows field of 15 appicants to five for interviews
A four-member selection committee is working to find a new police chief for Tonganoxie.
The group has reviewed 15 applications for the job currently held by Bill Adkins. Two weeks ago, that pool was narrowed to five, according to Chris Eppley, city administrator.
The selection committee last week interviewed those five applicants, said Eppley, who along with Mayor John Franiuk and council members Pat Albert and Janet Angell sit on the committee.
"We're in the process of narrowing that field down to an unspecified number to have a second interview with the entire council," Eppley said. "We'll also invite an area local law enforcement representative to sit in on that interview."
Eppley said he hoped that Mike Smith, city administrator and former police chief in Lansing, would provide guidance to the council during the final round of interviews.
None of the applicants is from Tonganoxie or Leavenworth County, Eppley said.
"There are several from within Kansas, and some that are not," he added.
Although the selection committee could have a recommendation for interviews ready for the full city council at next Monday night's meeting, Eppley said it's unlikely.
Franiuk underscored the importance of making a good choice.
"We need to analyze and interview every applicant thoroughly to make sure we're doing the right thing for our community," Franiuk said.
Eppley said city officials hope to have a new police chief on board shortly after the first of the year. Adkins' final day on the force will be Jan. 1, he said.
"I think we have some promising candidates, and we're expecting to get somebody into the police department shortly after Bill leaves us," Eppley said.
More like this story
- Kansas universities accept hundreds of students who don’t meet minimum admission standards: report
- Former Tonganoxie superintendent resigns from same post in Lawrence, plans to take other position in that district, pending board approval
- Tonganoxie USD 464 candidate questionnaire: Diane Truesdell
- Local attorney faces incumbent in school board race
- Tonganoxie school board to conduct superintendent search with Phillips as finalist; Kemp stepping down