Archive for Wednesday, December 22, 1999

State laws require insurance verification

December 22, 1999

A Kansas law that takes effect Jan. 1 may take some vehicle owners by surprise.

According to Janice Young, Leavenworth County treasurer, all vehicle owners must provide proof that they have insurance when they renew their registration or when they apply for a new vehicle registration.

The change a new law passed by the 1999 Kansas Legislature will mean that vehicle owners must provide to the treasurer's office one of the following:

A current insurance card issued by an insurance company.

A certificate of self-insurance issued by the commission.

A binder or certificate of insurance.

A motor carrier identification number issued by the state corporation commission.

Proof of insurance for vehicles covered under a fleet policy.

A dealership contract or a copy of a motor vehicle liability insurance policy issued to a school district or a public school for vehicles used as part of a driver's education program.

In the past, motorists simply could write a policy number on their form when renewing by mail. The new law requires that all mail-in renewals must also contain one of the forms listed or a photocopy of the form.

The goal of the new law is to reduce the number of uninsured motorists on Kansas highways.

For additional information, call the treasurer's office: (913) 684-0432.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.