Winter sports practicing
The varsity basketball and wrestling teams began preparation for the winter season last week.
The girls basketball team has 15 girls competing for the starting spots.
The boys team has 29 students practicing, and the wrestling team has more than 20 boys practicing.
Last Thursday, practices were in full swing. While the girls warmed up on the floor of the high school gymnasium, the wrestlers ran laps on the walkway above the court.
John Lee, girls basketball coach, said he was pleased with early practices. He said the girls were working hard.
Bill DeWitt, Tonganoxie wrestling coach, also said practices had been going well.
With only six juniors and seniors, the wrestling team is young. But the youth on the team should help in future seasons, DeWitt said.
Fans can get a glimpse of the basketball teams today.
The basketball teams will scrimmage for 15 minutes each at the high school.
The girls will begin at 2:35 p.m., and the boys will scrimmage after they are done.
The red and white scrimmage is scheduled for Dec. 2. The girls will play that evening at 6, and the boys will play at 7.
More like this story
- Wichita State gets $5 million, mostly for honors college
- Tonganoxie Mayor candidate questionnaire: Jason Ward
- Appeals court refuses to rehear Kansas abortion threat case
- 25 years on, disabilities act has changed lives of millions
- Kansas City Connection: Where comics, movies and TV shows come to life