Brothers sentenced in teen’s death
Two brothers involved in the shooting death of an Oskaloosa youth in late February were sentenced Tuesday in Jefferson County District Court.
The two were among six people who were charged in connection with the shooting death of Dakota "Cody" Back, 13. Back was shot and killed early in the morning of Feb. 27 with a 9 mm pistol while he and three other youths were in Back's bedroom.
Tuesday morning, two of those youths were sentenced.
Joe Sheley, 18, was sentenced to three years in the Jefferson County Jail in connection with his guilty plea to one count of endangering a child and two counts of contributing to a child's misconduct, according to Vic Braden, assistant Jefferson County attorney.
His brother, Dan Sheley, 16, was sentenced to the Shawnee County Juvenile Detention Center. Ultimately, Dan Sheley, who had pleaded guilty to criminal use of a weapon and possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, will be placed on supervised probation, Braden said.
Sentencing is scheduled today for the third youth, 15-year-old Joshua Stark, who pleaded guilty to a juvenile charge of second-degree murder in Back's death.
More like this story
- Stepmother of missing 7-year-old boy arrested in Kansas
- Kansas City Connection: More holiday events, tasty eats and food for your ears
- Kansas bill to impeach top court judges advances in Senate; would allow impeachment of governor, too
- Kansas' broad marijuana bill attracts bulk of GOP votes
- Facebook and the election