Fire Department Auxiliary looks for more volunteers
A 4-month-old organization is prepared to help Tonganoxie firefighters.
The Tonganoxie City Fire Auxiliary was organized to assist the city's fire department during major alarms and to help the department purchase equipment.
"Our main thrust is to provide refreshments in a major disaster," said Valerie Kampfer, who is chairman of the organization.
Kampfer, who attended Monday night's city council meeting, said the auxiliary's mission statement is:
"The Tonganoxie Fire Auxiliary is dedicated to supporting the activities and members of the Tonganoxie City Fire Department. The auxiliary will help to foster good will, sociability, and friendship among and between the fire department and residents of Tonganoxie."
The auxiliary hopes to help finance equipment purchases for the department through fund-raising activities.
The organization has eight members. Active and honorary memberships in the group are available. Members must be 18 years or older. Meetings are at 7 p.m. the first and third Wednesdays of each month at the fire station. The group charges no dues.
"We are learning as we go," Kampfer said. "We are looking for more volunteers."
More like this story
- Leavenworth County commissioners revoke bond support for proposed Tyson chicken plant near Tonganoxie
- Patron surveys available until May 3 for superintendent search
- Tonganoxie City Council primary election voter's guide
- Tonganoxie USD 464 holds line on mill rate; Smith resigns from board
- Former Tonganoxie superintendent resigns from same post in Lawrence, plans to take other position in that district, pending board approval