Recreation panel chooses name for new park
Tonganoxie's new park now has a name.
Members of the Tonganoxie Recreation Commission have selected "Chieftain Park" as the name for the green space along Main Street, south of Community National Bank. The name was chosen from those submitted from members of the public.
Chieftain Park is between 50 percent and 75 percent complete, according to Mark Zerrer, recreation commission director.
"There is still a lot of work to be done and stuff to be added to the park," Zerrer said.
For starters, tennis courts and horse shoe courts are on the agenda.
The playground was completed last fall. Since then, the commission has put in three soccer fields that will be ready for playing this fall. The park also features a sand volleyball court. Basketball courts are complete but courts still must be marked. The walking trail is partially complete. When finished, it will connect all three parks in the area, Master Gardner's Park, VFW Park and the new Chieftain Park. The trail will extend about 1 1/8 miles when complete.
Plans also call for installing benches at various points along the walking trail, along with six exercise stations.
"It's kind of a slow process," Zerrer said. "But we are working toward it."
More like this story
- Chronic wasting disease spreads to 6 more Kansas counties
- Tonganoxie USD 464 lays out reasons for principal's termination
- Tonganoxie School Board special meeting Thursday to cover potential LOB increase, freshman athletics
- Grass fires commonplace in recent days in Tonganoxie area
- Tonganoxie City Council to consider police station, other facilities