County reinstates toll-free number
Most county residents now can dial the Leavenworth County Courthouse toll free.
Chuck Magaha, emergency management director for Leavenworth County, said an agreement has been reached with Southwestern Bell to provide toll-free calling for county residents who have 913 area codes.
The new toll-free number is (800) 250-2057.
This is on a two-year trial basis to see how it works, Magaha said.
The county had had a toll-free number in the past, but discontinued it about two years ago.
It started out not being real expensive, Magaha said. But as it caught on, it got to be very expensive to the taxpayers. We were spending from $1,700 to $2,000 a month for our 800 number. This time it will be free.
Magaha said this is a public service offered to government entities by Southwestern Bell. To qualify, at least 35 percent of a countys constituents must fall in the long-distance category. Magaha said more than 40 percent of Leavenworth County residents fell into the long-distance category.
The one group not covered will be in the Reno area, Magaha said, which has a 785 area code.
He said that in order to cover that group, the county would have had to negotiate with another long-distance telephone carrier.
Magaha noted that the county also has installed a toll-free number for the sheriffs department: (800) 593-1313.
More like this story
- Man to be sentenced in suicide bomb plot at Kansas airport
- Hallmark to transfer printing work from Georgia to Kansas
- Officials: Early to say fewer quakes due to fracking limits
- Ex-U.S. representative seeks to expand lobbying firm in Kansas
- Visitation today, services tomorrow for Tonganoxie postmaster; online account set up for contributions