Barbershop singing drew crowd Friday night
About 45 members of The Heart of America Barbershop Chorus entertained Friday night at the high school's benefit dinner concert.
Directed by Tonganoxie teacher Gordon Lankenau, the group has 90 members.
One of these is former Channel 4 weatherman Dan Henry, who entertained the crowd by donning a drum major uniform and prancing around as the chorus sang a medley from the Music Man.
During the evening, Henry said new members are always welcome to join. "We'd like to have 200 members in our chorus," he said. Anyone interested is encouraged to contact Lankenau.
The group began as a quartet in 1938 in Kansas City and grew into a chorus in 1953.
Lankenau said that about 245 people attended the concert and that the high school band and vocal group raised about $1,200 from the event. Proceeds will be used to help pay for the band and vocal trip to Colorado in the spring of 2001.
More like this story
- Wichita teachers challenged to teach refugee children
- Inmate punished for role in Iowa prison scandal
- Tonganoxie's Tayber Witt "signs" with KU football team
- Tonganoxie High athlete signs to compete in track at Tabor for former THS coach
- Tonganoxie man sentenced to more than 3 years for drugs, robbery charges