McLouth fired up for annual barbecue
Once again, McLouth residents are preparing for a mouth-watering weekend of barbecue celebration.
Cheryl Wonnell, one of the planners of the ninth annual McLouth barbecue competition, said the big event is scheduled for June 3.
But the weekend will start on June 2, a Friday, she said.
"This year we're planning Friday night events which will be announced later when our plans are further along," she said.
Sponsored by the McLouth Recreation Commission, the weekend also will include a visit by the ABATE motorcycle club, demonstrations of flying model airplanes, a 4-H breakfast on Saturday morning, an on-site visit from radio station 97 Country, and people's choice voting of the best barbecue entries.
Wonnell said it's possible that a competitive run will be held June 3.
"Now is the time to start entering," Wonnell said of the McLouth barbecue event.
This year's barbecue cookoff classes will include lamb, brisket, non-brisket beef, sausage, pork, chicken and ribs, she said. The grand prize winner will compete in the invitational American Royal and Kansas barbecue state championship in Lenexa.
"Our cookers really enjoy coming to McLouth to cook," she said. "It's a real friendly atmosphere in the smaller community and we treat our cookers real good. We give them prizes, too."
For more information, contact Wonnell at Creative Advertising, 805 Murrow Ct., Lawrence, (785) 843-2200.
More like this story
- School board meeting moved; Bothwell named VP; former city maintenance shop drawing interest from potential buyers
- Tonganoxie City Council approves Topeka firm for City Hall, police station work
- Remember When: A Community Review for Jan. 4, 2017
- Tonganoxie school board selects KASB to conduct superintendent search
- Hill touts career experiences in Leavenworth County Commission race