Tonganoxie man named Marine of the Year
Nick Bogard, son of Chris and Joe Bogard, and a 1997 graduate of Tonganoxie High School, has been selected Marine of the Year for the first Marine regimen at Camp Pendleton, Calif.
Bogard, who joined the Marine Corps in spring 1997, has been on one six-month deployment to China, Singapore, Malaysia, Africa, Oman and Kuwait. Another six-month deployment will begin in August when he will travel to Australia to help provide security for the 2000 Olympics and will then return to Saudi Arabia for a few months.
"Right now we're running a six-month training cycle to become special operations-capable as a part of a Marine air grounds task force in Saudi Arabia," Bogard said.
In summer 2001, Bogard's term in the service will end. After that he plans to continue in the reserves and begin taking classes at the University of Kansas where he will work toward a degree in business administration.
To be selected as Marine of the Year, Bogard was selected at the platoon, company, battalion and regiment levels. He was awarded a medal, scholarship money, a four-day vacation to San Francisco, and, of course, the title of Marine of the Year.
More like this story
- Another viable senior living option in Tonganoxie?
- Tonganoxie USD 464 candidate questionnaire: Diane Truesdell
- Brownback urges Kansas House to pass GOP school funding plan
- Tonganoxie trainer warns of heat illnesses, urges proper hydration
- Frese: Push for Tonganoxie Public Libary expansion starts with Saturday run