Watchful ‘inspectors’ pay off for the city
Bricks along Fourth Street are looking better these days, thanks to the watchful eye of downtown business owners and the consulting firm that's been hired by the city to inspect the project.
During the past several weeks, bricks were laid as accents along new concrete sidewalks. The amount of room allotted for the bricks wasn't exact. So the firm laying the bricks tried several methods to make them fit. Some of those attempts were, well, unsightly.
Local business owners contacted city officials about the workmanship. And the engineering firm that's serving as the city's consultant on the project already was working to get the problem solved. The owner of the firm that is performing the brick work took quick action, and the bricks in the 500 and 600 blocks of East Fourth Street appear to be uniformly placed in an attractive pattern.
Tonganoxie residents should be pleased that our city has as Mayor John Franiuk puts it "a lot of inspectors." Those inspectors have helped ensure that the renovation project is one that contains attractive, high-quality work.
More like this story
- Linwood man sentenced to nearly a decade in prison for attempted rape, attempted aggravated criminal sodomy
- Stolen goods from Joyland park found with Louie the Clown
- Kansas House panel considers higher scrap theft penalties
- Man who escaped from Kansas police custody found in Missouri
- Wichita voters approve reducing marijuana penalties