New insurance agent opens office
On the first business day of the new year, Jeannine Williams spent her first day at her new office in Tonganoxie.
Williams is an insurance agent at the new Farmers Insurance Group office, 628 Fourth St.
Williams, who lives on a farm west of Oskaloosa and who grew up in McLouth, said it was Tonganoxie's growth that prompted her to open an insurance agency here.
"That's a big reason why I chose this town," Williams said. "I've got to look at the growth and the opportunity for me."
Williams said her past work experience is varied, and includes having worked as a cosmetologist and operating night clubs with her husband, Dale Williams.
Two years ago, after receiving her associated degree in applied science at Topeka Technical College, Williams began working at State Farm Insurance in Lawrence.
"I learned how to run the business and decided to open one of my own," Williams said.
A year ago, she passed property and casualty exams, and four months ago she also was licensed to sell life and health insurance.
Presently, Williams is what is called a reserve agent for the Farmers group. But she said that in three months she expects to qualify as a career agent, which means she also can sell commercial insurance, along with the life, auto and homeowners insurance she is presently selling.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie Mayor candidate questionnaire: Jason Ward
- Kansas lawmakers' tax plan makes numerous policy changes
- Legislators expect extened session with 'significant tax increase' on horizon
- Tonganoxie Public Library officials talk building future with City Council
- Leavenworth County commissioners revoke bond support for proposed Tyson chicken plant near Tonganoxie