13-year-old swimmer receives certificate
Amanda McLaughlin/Dent, 13, recently received a certificate for her swimming expertise.
Darren Shupe, manager of the Tonganoxie swimming pool for four years, said Amanda is the youngest person he's ever taught who has progressed to level 7, which he said is the most advanced level that can be achieved in the classes he teaches.
Amanda passed the requirements last summer, when she was only 12, Shupe said.
Amanda, who said she's been a swimmer since she was 2, said she plans to work at the pool as a lifeguard when she's 15.
Amanda is the daughter of Scott and Lisa Dent, Tonganoxie.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie graduate gives $1 million to KU scholarships benefitting LGBTQ students
- Tonganoxie Hall of Fame class recognized Friday at Myers Hotel
- Tonganoxie High assistant takes over helm for boys basketball team
- 50,000 Kansans sign up for insurance in federal exchange
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie Assistant City Manager Dan Porter