Couple injured in blast
Two 22-year-olds were critically injured about 10 p.m. last Wednesday when their farm house in western Leavenworth County sustained extensive damage in a gas explosion.
Kelly Carreno was 8 1/2 months pregnant at the time of the explosion and gave birth shortly after she and her husband, Jason, were taken by helicopter to the Kansas University Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan. The baby girl, named Sierra Sue, was in good condition Tuesday.
According to sheriff's reports, the Carrenos were trying to light the pilot light on their hot water heater when the explosion occurred. The report said the house, north of Kansas Highway 92 near the Jefferson County line on 251st Street, apparently was full of propane gas that had built up.
Jason Carreno was listed in critical condition Tuesday, and Kelly Carreno was in good condition.