Chieftains receive post-season honors
Three boys basketball players and four girls basketball players have been named to post-season honorary teams for their athletic and academic achievements..
Recognized for their play on the court were Scott Breuer and Andrea Korb who were second team All Kaw Valley League.
Breuer, a junior, averaged 12.1 points and 4.5 rebounds for the Chieftains this season.
Among Breuer's more memorable performances was the third quarter of the final game of the season at Sumner. Breuer made three three point shots, his only threes of the season, and scored 11 points against the eventual state champions.
Korb, a sophomore, led the team in scoring several times during the season. She played guard and shooting guard. She started the majority of the games for the Chieftains for a second consecutive season.
Senior Jill Stauch was honorable mention All League. Stauch was a consistent offensive threat for the Chieftains, scoring of drives to the basket and short-range jump shots.
Four seniors also were recognized for their commitment to academics.
Brett Becker, Neil Rieger, Marcy Dodge and Sarah Gripka, who have 4.0-grade-point averages, were selected as Academic All State players by the Kansas Basketball Coaches Association.
More like this story
- Kansas Senate advances energy, elections, gambling proposals
- Tonganoxie City Council approves bonds to fund new library
- Tonganoxie USD 464 receives one bid for former elementary school
- Tonganoxie Planning Commission approves recommendations on large projects
- Kansas school finance case comes at high cost for state, districts