Tornado slices through Tonganoxie
A tornado sliced through Tonganoxie about 9:30 p.m. Thursday, causing severe damage to the city's downtown area, as well as numerous homes in this southern Leavenworth County town.
According to reports, a 4-year-old Lawrence girl was injured Friday morning and taken by Life Flight helicopter to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, where she was pronounced dead on arrival. The girl's grandfather was working on the roof of a porch when the porch collapsed. The child was on the porch at the time of the accident.
The storm originated east of Topeka and slid across southern Jefferson County and northern Douglas County before roaring into southern Leavenworth County.
Part of the roof was lifted from Tonganoxie Elementary School, exposing at least eight classrooms to the elements.
The storm's path was centered on the downtown business district, and two to three blocks south and north of the downtown. A number of businesses lost their roofs. And the Assembly of God Church at Sixth and Church streets, south of downtown, was severely damaged.
The Mirror will continue to update this Web site, and the newspaper is planning a special edition for its readers on Saturday morning.
More like this story
- Hats off to you, Tonganoxie and McLouth graduates
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Tonganoxie High girls track 2nd, boys 4th at Bobcat Relays
- Tonganoxie High golfers nab 6th place at regional event
- Tonganoxie High girls can't get past Piper in substate title game