Fire destroys rural mobile home
In an explosion last Wednesday when a gas furnace was lit, a rural Tonganoxie woman was burned and her mobile home destroyed.
Shelly Stufflebean, 23132 George Rd., was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital and treated for burns on her face and hands, said her mother, Gloria Provance.
Provance explained that after a Wednesday morning propane delivery, her daughter had decided to turn on the furnace.
"She knows how to do it she's done it before," Provance said.
But when she attempted to turn on the furnace, which was in the laundry room roughly in the center of the mobile home, there was an explosion.
Provance said a friend of Stufflebean's was in another room of the house at the time of the explosion.
"He fell on the floor and then all the windows blew out," Provance said. "He went to look for Shelly and found her in the kids' bedroom."
The couple ran next door to Provance's house seeking help.
Tonganoxie Township firefighters called for mutual aid in fighting the fire. Units from the city of Tonganoxie and Stranger Township also responded.
About an hour after the fire started, firefighters were still working to extinguish it.
"She's lost everything," her mother said. "She has no insurance nothing to replace what she lost."
Provance said she believed her daughter's dog had died in the fire.
Even though her daughter had lost her home and everything in it, Provance said she was grateful that she was basically safe.
"I told her she's not replaceable," Provance said.
As for Stufflebean and her three children, Provance said there are family members in the area who will house them.
More like this story
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Carlisle no longer Tonganoxie High principal
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck
- Another viable senior living option in Tonganoxie?