High schoolers hold youth meet
For the fourth year in a row, the Tonganoxie High School cross country team is putting on an elementary school cross country meet.
The meet, 3:45 p.m. today at Tonganoxie cross country course, will be for children in third through sixth grades.
High school coach Phil Williams said the purpose of having the meet is to introduce children to a sport they have had very little exposure to.
ost of these kids, unless they have a brother or sister in cross country, have never even been to a meet,Williams said.
He said that he expected the event to draw about 100 runners.
The winning class in each grade level will earn an award. Every child gets a participation ribbon.
The race, run by the Chieftain cross country team, is one mile. Williams said that the top runners finish in the six-minute range.
More like this story
- Kansas' criminal forfeiture law, among nation's toughest, faces bipartisan effort to change
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- Tonganoxie FAST group begins weekly workouts, encourages wide-ranging participation
- Tonganoxie USD 464 ballot deadline is June 30
- Tonganoxie free community fitness program attracts nearly 90 at first official session