High schoolers hold youth meet
For the fourth year in a row, the Tonganoxie High School cross country team is putting on an elementary school cross country meet.
The meet, 3:45 p.m. today at Tonganoxie cross country course, will be for children in third through sixth grades.
High school coach Phil Williams said the purpose of having the meet is to introduce children to a sport they have had very little exposure to.
ost of these kids, unless they have a brother or sister in cross country, have never even been to a meet,Williams said.
He said that he expected the event to draw about 100 runners.
The winning class in each grade level will earn an award. Every child gets a participation ribbon.
The race, run by the Chieftain cross country team, is one mile. Williams said that the top runners finish in the six-minute range.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck
- Kansas Senate approves concealed carry of guns without training or permit
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Kansas committee review bill to boost tobacco, alcohol taxes
- Kansas district court judge sues over state law on courts