Services for Marvin Spencer, 78, Olathe, were Aug. 26, 2000, at St. Pauls Catholic Church, Olathe. Burial was in Spring Hill Cemetery in Spring Hill.
Mr. Spencer died Aug. 22, 2000, at Olathe Medical Center. He was born Aug. 23, 1921, in Tonganoxie, the son of Joseph and Carrie (Pickens) Spencer.
Mr. Spencer was a member of American Legion Post No. 153 for 55 years, St. Pauls Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus third degree. He was the former owner of Marvins Garage and Tow, and retired in 1988. At age 14, he joined the Civil Conservation Corps.
His first wife, Kathleen Friel Spencer died in 1991.
Survivors include his wife, Alberta Lee White Spencer of the home; two daughters, Nancy Jane Spelling, Davis, Okla., and Rebecca Jane Spencer, Kansas City, Mo.; two step-daughters, Dalena White Thomasson, Edgerton, and Joline Marie White, Kansas City, Mo.; two brothers, James Spencer, Ava, Mo., and George Spencer, Olathe; four grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.
The family suggests memorial contributions to St. Pauls Catholic Church or to the Humane Society. W.L. Frye & Son Mortuary and Crematory, Olathe, handled arrangements.
More like this story
- Analysis: Kansas abortion ruling could have sweeping effects
- Tonganoxie City Council agenda for April 6, 2015
- Judge blocks Kansas' ban on 2nd-trimester abortion procedure
- Appeals court upholds Kansas cap on local school taxes
- Linenberger: Brownback's decision on LGBT protections should trigger public action