Planning documents important for area
Both the city of Tonganoxie and Leavenworth County are working on new comprehensive planning guides.
Tonight, the Tonganoxie Planning Commission is scheduled to make a recommendation to city council members about the city's new 20-year plan. And Monday night, city council members are expected to take final action on the plan.
The comprehensive plan is designed to guide to act as a blueprint of sorts for the city's growth during the next 20 years.
And it is highly important.
During the next 20 years, members of future city councils and planning commissions will depend on the guide as they make decisions about zoning and other land uses in the city. As the city grows, these council and commission members will refer to the plan, depending on it to help them make choices.
Each year, city officials say, they will update the document. That way, they say, it won't become static and it will continue to reflect the dynamics of the Tonganoxie area.
Leavenworth County officials are taking their plan on the road, trying to educate county residents about the effects and costs of the plan. It's expected that the county planning commission should make a recommendation to county commissioners in May or June.
Both of these plans are important to Tonganoxie area residents. And area residents should ensure they are comfortable about the details of these plans.
They are our future.
More like this story
- Chieftains nab 1st victory in overtime fashion, place 4th at home invite
- Eudora outlasts Tonganoxie girls with work on the glass
- Tonganoxie High girls can't get past Piper in substate title game
- Eudora outlasts THS girls in tournament consolation game
- Tonganoxie High boys can't overcome early deficit in regular-season finale; Piper next in substate Friday