Third annual Patriots Day celebration set this weekend
The Patriots are coming.
On Saturday, McLouth's third annual Patriots Day kicks off at 9 a.m., complete with parades, a barbecue dinner and a show by Buffalo Bill.
Clifford Weeks heads the recreation commission, which is sponsoring the event along with the city and American Legion.
Weeks said that Candy Braksick came up with the idea to celebrate Patriots Day in McLouth to promote patriotism and to honor veterans.
"She had read about these celebrations that they hold in the New England states, and she thought it would be neat for McLouth," Weeks said.
Events for the day include:
9 a.m.-2 p.m., military display, American Legion.
9 a.m.-3 p.m., Kansa Prairie Quilters' show and demonstration, Methodist Church.
10 a.m.-2 p.m., Sunshine Petting Zoo, crafts and food.
11 a.m., children's parade.
1 p.m. "Kansas' Greatest Patriots Day Parade."
2:30 p.m., Emergency Services barbecue dinner, school cafeteria.
3 p.m.-5 p.m., Billy Spears band.
More like this story
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Analysis: Kansas GOP lawmakers set up debate on higher taxes
- Kansas Legislature mulls slashing green energy incentives
- Kansas committee review bill to boost tobacco, alcohol taxes
- Kansas Senate panel's budget debate part of crowded agenda