Wiley to celebrate 100th birthday
The family of Othal Wiley invites area residents to participate in a card shower to help celebrate his 100th birthday.
Wiley was born on Feb. 24, 1901, near Linwood and lived in this area until about 30 years ago when his physician suggested that he and his wife move to Arizona where the drier climate would be beneficial to his health.
Othal and Eva Wiley moved to Yuma, where they stayed for many years. Eva will celebrate her 96th birthday on March 24. The couple were married on Nov. 2, 1924.
Today, the Wileys live in Somerton, Ariz. Cards may be sent to him in care of Judy Yates, Licensed Adult Foster Care Home, R.R. 3710 W. Venue Drive, Somerton, Ariz., 85350.
Wiley grew up in Leavenworth and attended school there, then for years farmed near Reno. After moving to Arizona, he grew citrus and harvested a variety of citrus fruits. During their marriage, the couple traveled extensively, visiting all 50 states.
The couple have three children, Janie Kaiser, Topeka, Francis Wiley, Lawrence, and June Hagenbuch, Lawrence, all of whom were born on the farm. They also have 11 grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren and a great-great-grandchild.
More like this story
- McLouth High boys basketball advances to 3A substate semifinals
- McLouth teams can't crack win column during busy week
- Tonganoxie High softball dominance continues as team moves to 10-0; THS baseball to host regional
- Jackson Heights football rolls against McLouth, 46-8
- Tonganoxie High athletics sweeps competitions for the week