Archive for Wednesday, February 28, 2001

The Record

February 28, 2001

Tonganoxie Police

Barbara Allen, 64, Tonganoxie, was traveling north on U.S. Highway 24-40, near Smiley Road, about 8 p.m. last Thursday when her car hit and killed a deer. Damage to Allen's vehicle was more than $500.

About $430 worth of car stereo equipment was taken Saturday night or Sunday morning from a vehicle parked in the 600 block of East Second.

Leavenworth County Sheriff

Rickey Frierson, 46, Leavenworth, was traveling east on Robin Road, near 137th Street, about noon Feb. 19 when he failed to yield at the intersection. Frierson tried to make a left-hand turn onto 137th Street and ran into the driver's side of Amy Dill's vehicle, 19, Leavenworth. Dill was turning left from 137th Street onto Robin Road. There were no injuries and damage to the vehicles was more than $500.

David Berve, 57, Bonner Springs, was traveling north on Leavenworth County Road 2 about 6:30 p.m. Friday when he struck and killed a deer. He was not injured and damages were more than $500.

A truck was stolen about 4 p.m. Sunday from the 23700 block of Tonganoxie Road. There were numerous tools in the back of the truck. The estimated loss is $21,725.

Leavenworth County District Court

A trial has been ordered for a Kansas City, Kan., man accused of leading area law enforcement officers on a high-speed chase last July after an attempted break-in. Following a preliminary hearing last Wednesday afternoon, a pre-trial conference for Daryl Thomas was set for 11 a.m. March 23 in Leavenworth County District Court. Thomas is charged in with attempted residential burglary, a felony count of fleeing or attempting to elude police officers, felony possession of stolen property and felony criminal damage to property. Thomas is accused of trying to break into a home northwest of Basehor on July 3. Authorities allege he was driving a stolen vehicle when he led police on a high-speed chase from Tonganoxie to Basehor. Sheila Hicks, who was a passenger in the vehicle, pleaded guilty to a charge of felony criminal damage to property. She was sentenced to a 15-month term in prison, and then placed on intensive supervised probation for 12 months.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.