Hearing delayed for plea discussion
It appears a plea is in the works for a Lawrence man accused of molesting three area youths.
Last week, a preliminary hearing for the man was postponed, and attorneys said they are working on a plea, according to a court official.
The 33-year-old man, who had been a volunteer who worked with youth at Tonganoxie United Methodist Church, is charged with 11 felony counts alleging offenses against the male youths at the man's home in Lawrence between February 1997 and October 2000.
The man has been charged in Douglas County District Court with eight counts of aggravated indecent liberties with a child; two counts of criminal sodomy; and one count of aggravated sexual battery.
The man's next court hearing is set for 2 p.m. next Wednesday, although a plea hearing could be scheduled earlier, the court official said.
The Mirror generally does not name suspects in sex crimes unless they have been convicted.
The man remained in Douglas County Jail on Tuesday.