Road work to get started today
A repaving project on U.S. Highway 24-40 between Tonganoxie and Kansas Highway 32 should get under way today.
The project will include a new layer for the 9.4-mile stretch of highway from the Leavenworth-Douglas county line to the intersection of Kansas Highway 16 in Tonganoxie.
"We'll do it on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and be done," said Jeff Vance, vice president of Vance Brothers Inc. of Kansas City, Mo. "That's our plan all subject to breakdowns, rain, those sorts of things."
The Kansas Department of Transportation awarded Vance Brothers Inc. a $154,238 contract to complete the work. Parts of the highway will be closed, and a pilot car will lead motorists in the lane that is clear. Vance estimated traffic could be stopped for up to 15 minutes during construction.
More like this story
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Linenberger: Brownback's decision on LGBT protections should trigger public action
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- Governor creates Social Services Policy Council