Accidents kill three in county
Traffic accidents during the past few days have claimed the lives of three area residents.
On June 5, Jason Thompson, 22, Leavenworth, was driving south on Kansas Highway 7 about 11 p.m. An unknown person was traveling south on K-7. Both vehicles collided head-on and Thompson suffered fatal injuries and died at the scene. The other driver fled the scene. The cause of the accident and the identity of the other driver are still under investigation.
Another accident on K-7 Highway occurred as Karen Thompson, 64, Basehor, was sitting at a stop sign at Fairmount Road about 2:15 p.m. Friday. Charles Gray, 36, Lansing, was driving south on K-7 in the left lane, behind a concrete truck that was in the right lane. Thompson pulled out onto the highway as the concrete truck turned right onto Fairmount Road. Gray attempted to stop but hit Thompson's vehicle on the driver's side. Thompson died in the accident. Gray was not injured.
And in an accident on Kansas Highway 32, just east of U.S. Highway 24-40, Russel Bedford, 37, Lecompton, was killed when his car left the road and struck a tree about 11:30 p.m. Saturday. Bedford was not wearing a seatbelt and was pronounced dead at the scene. The cause of the accident, which was not discovered until about 7:30 a.m. Sunday, is under investigation.
More like this story
- Grass fires commonplace in recent days in Tonganoxie area
- Leavenworth, Douglas county officials battle grass fires; Tonganoxie chief offers prevention tips
- Big bike boom in Tonganoxie
- Linenberger: Repurposing former Tonganoxie Elementary School worth a look
- About 25 residents attend initial Tonganoxie sesquicentennial planning meeting