Obit: Rachel E. Sumner
Rachel E. Sumner
Services for Rachel E. Sumner, 90, Emmett, were Saturday, June 9, 2001, at Holy Cross Catholic Church in Emmett. Burial was in St. Clere Cemetery north of Emmett.
Mrs. Sumner died June 5, 2001, at an Onaga hospital. She was born Aug. 2, 1910, in Seneca, the daughter of August and Blanche Becker Haug. She lived in Emmett most of her live.
She attended Longbranch Rural School. For the past 10 1/2 years, she lived at Golden Acres Nursing Home.
She was a member of Holy Cross Catholic Church and was a member of the church Altar Society. She was a charter member of the Happy Homemakers and was a member of the Jolly Workers, both at Emmett. She had been a 4-H leader and had been a past member of the St. Marys Literary Club.
She married Morgan L. Sumner on Sept. 22, 1931, in Emmett. He died on Feb. 24, 1990.
Survivors include two daughters, Maxine E. LoScalzo, Yukon, Okla., and Sharon Legg, Leavenworth; three sisters, Mildred Philips, Arizona, Lucille Jones, Colorado Springs, and Beatrice Kauffman, Canon City, Colo.; three brothers, Art Haug, Lawrence, Regis Haug, North Kansas City, Mo., and Bob Haug, Bonita Springs, Fla.; nine grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
The family suggests memorial contributions to Gold Acres Nursing Home, sent in care of Piper-Verschelden Funeral Home, St. Marys.
More like this story
- Mott would be Kansas' first transgender House member
- Another viable senior living option in Tonganoxie?
- Resident asks to consider educational opportunities for former Tonganoxie Elementary School
- Tonganoxie USD 464 has 1 applicant for board opening; hires and resignations; Statehouse candidate visits meeting
- Tonganoxie USD 464 board picks new member; FTE enrollment up; library building discussed; contracts, resignations approved