Obit: Virgil Neal Shelton
Virgil Neal Shelton
Services for Virgil Neal Shelton, Leavenworth, were Friday, June 8, 2001, at Victory Baptist Church, Tonganoxie. Burial was in National Cemetery, Leavenworth.
Mr. Shelton, 78, died June 5, 2001, at his home. He was born Sept. 17, 1922 in Topeka, the son of Ben and Bernice (DeWine) Shelton.
He was a U.S. Army veteran of World War II and the Korean War. Mr. Shelton retired after 20 years from the U.S. Army and worked as a guard at Lansing State Penitentiary for 18 years. He was a member of Victory Baptist Church in Tonganoxie and was a church trustee.
Mr. Shelton married Phyllis Monshower on April 16, 1945. She died on Jan. 29, 1993. He married Gladys Roberts on May 12, 1993. She survives, of the home.
Other survivors include a daughter, Janice K. Tuner, Tonganoxie; a stepson, Roger Wyer, Lawrence; a stepdaughter, Roberta Guffey, Belgrade, Mont.; two sisters, Bernice Darrow and Nancy Thompkins, both of Topeka; two grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.
The family suggests memorial contributions to Victory Baptist Church, in care of Quisenberry Funeral Home, P.O. Box 993, Tonganoxie, 66086.
More like this story
- New proposal would cut Kansas school districts by half
- Kansas headed toward another school finance debate next year
- Tonganoxie City Council's Reed to challenge O'Brien for Kansas House seat
- Kansas school aid debate raises tough issues for lawmakers
- Kansas Senate advances energy, elections, gambling proposals