Accident claims life of resident
A Leavenworth County man died Thursday in a farm accident about seven miles south of Basehor.
According to Sgt. Charlie Yates of the Leavenworth County Sheriff's Department, Porter Donn, 58, 16071 Kreider Road, had been working alone in a hayfield owned by Miles Jones, 15345 Kreider Road.
"It looked like he had loaded six large bales on the wagon," Yates said. "It appeared that the was getting ready to hook up the trailer and haul them out of the field to take them to his residence down the road."
Investigators believe that when Donn maneuvered the wagon tongue to hook it to the tractor, the wagon rolled forward and pinned him to the rear portion of the tractor, Yates said.
Donn had last been seen about 10:30 a.m. Jones found him and reported the accident around 11:10 a.m.
"The officers and first responders attempted to give him some medical attention at the scene, to no avail," Yates said.
More like this story
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- GOP plan to overhaul Kansas school aid could move quickly
- Tongnoxie USD 464 board cuts teacher position, freshman athletics events
- Tonganoxie USD 464 candidate questionnaire: Michelle McGhee