Careful study needed for THS cut policy
Last week, the Tonganoxie school board was asked to implement a cut policy for athletic teams at Tonganoxie High School. But board members balked, saying they wanted time to consider the matter and hear from the public on this proposed change.
Board members will consider the change requested by the athletics director and several coaches at the next board meeting, scheduled for July 9.
It is best that the board delayed a decision on this policy change. Certainly, many student-athletes and their parents have strong feelings on this topic. And the school board likely will hear a variety of views on the topic.
It is understandable that top athletes and their coaches want to underscore the importance of winning. We should give those student-athletes every opportunity to succeed.
But it also is important for all students to have an opportunity to participate in school-run athletic endeavors.
School board members have many details to consider as they weigh this important issue. They should take their time to ensure they make a fair decision.
More like this story
- State creates quarantine zone for bird flu in rural Leavenworth, Wyandotte counties
- Another viable senior living option in Tonganoxie?
- Kansas Senate panel considering bill to ban abortion method
- Tonganoxie City Council to consider police station, other facilities
- THS art students painting green stripe this year