Local duo plan July opening for Urban Hess Greenhouse
Progress is slower than anticipated on a new retail garden center and greenhouse in Tonganoxie.
Twila Hickman and Art Hancock, both of Tonganoxie, hoped to have the business open by May 1.
"Things are going way too slow," Hickman said. "The building's still going up. We're probably looking at four to six more weeks."
The retail garden center and greenhouse will be located on a tract of land in Urban Hess business center, along Laming Road, south of County Road 5.
The business may open before the greenhouse is complete.
"If we have to, we could sell stuff inside right off pallets just to get a start," Hickman said. "I'm pretty frustrated. I'd like to be out there opened up and ready to go right now."
Since the duo will most likely be opening the business in mid-July, Hickman said what they sell will depend on what's available. She's planning on having fall plantings such as some perennials, mums and bulbs in the 2,880-square-foot greenhouse. She said they would also have some summer plants available.
Hickman and Hancock are planning a 1,500-square-foot retail section stocked with typical garden supplies and some garden art.
"I'm still very enthusiastic and excited," Hickman said. "I'd love to join the commercial community."
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Don't be a stranger to this pie social
- Kansas City Connection: 9 events to kick off a busy September
- Kansas CIty Connection: Fall chock-full of colorful events
- Tonganoxie Elementary School student to present TES history at historical society meeting
- Tonganoxie Mayor candidate questionnaire: Bill Peak