Obituary: Richard John Verhage
Services for Richard John Verhage, 95, Tonganoxie, were Tuesday at Tonganoxie Christian Church, with the Rev. Ben Saathoff officiating. Burial was in Hubbel Hill Cemetery, Tonganoxie.
Mr. Verhage died Saturday, June 16, 2001, at Brandon Woods Nursing Center in Lawrence. He was born June 11, 1906, in Valencia, Kan., the son of Samuel and Bessie (Smelser) Verhage.
He farmed near Tonganoxie until 1943. He worked for Franklin Dairy and Sealtest Ice Cream Co., Tonganoxie, and retired in 1972 from All Star Dairy, Lawrence. Mr. Verhage was a member of Tonganoxie Christian Church.
On July 1, 1927, he married Edna Baird in Topeka. She died on Dec. 31, 1991.
Survivors include six daughters, Shirley Schultz and Norma VanDyke, both of Tonganoxie, Joan Vance, Edwardsville, Betty Earls, Lawrence, Donna Troop, Parker, Colo., and Janice Myracle, Lansing; 21 grandchildren; 39 great-grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.
The family suggests memorial contributions to the church or the Heart of America Hospice, sent in care of Quisenberry Funeral Home, P.O. Box 993, Tonganoxie, 66086.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie candidates gather for forum
- Tonganoxie City Council, USD 464 school board candidate forums Saturday
- Bill would prohibit public agencies and schools in Kansas from collecting union dues
- Employer sent to prison for hiring workers illegally in U.S.
- Local attorney faces incumbent in school board race