Home Depot considers Lansing
Another shiny new nail in Leavenworth County's commercial growth may be the startup of a Home Depot store in Lansing.
Tom Gray, spokesman for the Atlanta-based home improvement retailer, said Monday, "We've been scouting around the Leavenworth and Lansing area."
But Gray said the corporation wasn't ready to announce when a new store might open.
"I guess the only thing I can do is confirm that yes we have been looking at the area," Gray said. "But I have no timetable established, so it's hard to say when that might be."
Michael Smith, Lansing city administrator, also confirmed that Home Depot has been looking at the area.
"The city council has not publicly announced that yet, and I think it would be premature for me to do so," Smith said.
Smith said he thought that within two weeks, the city would be able to make an announcement.
Founded in 1978, Home Depot currently operates 1,164 stores in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Chile and Argentina. The corporation employs 230,000. Gray said that the average Home Depot store employs from 150 to 200.
More like this story
- The Columnists: Jarbalo Jottings, Linwood News and McLouth Happenings
- Jarbalo Jottings and McLouth Happenings
- Lawrence Memorial 5K Summer Spray series again includes Tonganoxie date
- Lawrence Memorial Hospital 5K Run/Walk Tonganoxie race Saturday
- Lawrence Memorial 5K Summer Spray series coming up again this summer