Archive for Wednesday, May 2, 2001

News briefing

May 2, 2001

Board hires two new high school teachers

At a special meeting of the USD 464 Board of Education Monday night, the board hired Randy Craft as the high school's new vocational agriculture instructor, and hired Liz Newcomer as the high school English teacher.

The next board meeting will be at 7 p.m., May 14, in the Board of Education Office.

Thrift shop to open one evening a month

Because of increased requests, the Good Shepherd Thrift Store will now be open from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the first Friday of each month, beginning this week. Financial or food assistance will not be available at this time.

Residents can drop off donations during these hours. Please be sure they are clean and in good shape. Some items cannot be resold if they are beyond repair and the thrift store must pay to have these items removed.

If anyone is interest in volunteering to work at the thrift shop, please call 845-3964.

Register today to vote in May 22 election

Voter registration books for Tonganoxie residents will be open through today.

On May 22, Tonganoxie voters will be asked to decide whether the city clerk can live in Leavenworth County, as well as in an adjoining county. Polls will be open from 7 p.m. to 7 p.m. that day, and voting will take place at the Leavenworth County Fair-grounds and Sacred Heart Catholic Church.

According to state law, voter registration books must remain closed for two weeks before an election.

Voter registration is available at the city clerk's offices in Tonganoxie, Basehor, Linwood, Lansing, Leavenworth and Easton; the Leavenworth County Annex in Tonganoxie; public libraries in Tonganoxie, Basehor, Linwood and Leavenworth; the Leavenworth County clerk's office in the courthouse in Leavenworth

Tonganoxie voter registration books will reopen on May 23, the day after the special election.

Fire at junior high caused no damage

Excitement heated up Friday morning when fire alarms sounded at Tonganoxie Junior High.

But by the time firefighters arrived, the fire, contained to an extension cord, had been extinguished.

Students and teachers waited outside for about 10 minutes, until given the all clear by firefighters.

The fire started up in an extension cord in Charles Hassinger's computer room, said Superintendent Richard Erickson.

Erickson said that Hassinger saw the flames and immediately shut the breaker down.

Language arts teacher Marilyn Daniels was in the computer room when the fire started.

She said she heard the kids exclaiming about something and when she looked over, flames were shooting out of an extension cord. Hassinger, who also saw the fire, told students to leave the building and instructed someone to pull a fire alarm.

Daniels said she ran down the hall and pulled an alarm by the front door.

"It's the first time I've ever pulled the fire alarm in the 25 years I've taught school," Daniels said.

Steve Woolf, principal, said he was glad the fire was caught early and that there was no damage.

"There was just some smoke in the corridor," Woolf said.

Erickson agreed, "We were fortunate this happened during the day so someone could see it, or else there would have been some real damage."

Commenting has been disabled for this item.