Apartments in Basehor to accommodate seniors
John Bonee is betting that he's correctly judged the need for an adult living community.
Bonee is constructing 35 garden-style apartments just south of Basehor City Hall that are designed for people 55 and older. Site work now is under way on the two-bedroom apartments, which are owned by Bonee's Falcon Properties.
Bonee is hopeful the Basehor market can handle his development.
"A lot of older people I knew were always asking about it," he said. "I'm a builder, and younger couples I've built for were asking about places for their parents because they want them close."
The 800-square-foot apartments are being constructed on a 6.5-acre tract that will include a pond with a fountain, a walking trail and park benches.
"We toured a lot of different floor plans, and this encompassed everything that many people were talking about," Bonee said.
Already, Bonee said, 16 people are on a waiting list for the apartments. The first units should be completed in October.
"The others will follow soon after," Bonee said.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie school board to conduct superintendent search with Phillips as finalist; Kemp stepping down
- Election filing deadline noon Thursday
- Phillips to interview for superintendent position after all; new special meeting set for Monday
- Local attorney faces incumbent in school board race
- Tonganoxie school board to interview Phillips for superintendent position