Investigation of accident continues
Leavenworth County officials still are investigating a traffic accident last week that claimed the life of a 19-year-old St. Mary College student.
Katherine E. Mika was killed May 8 when her 1988 Ford Taurus was struck on the driver's side by a school bus driven by Nina I. Kreutzer, 69, Basehor. The school bus was carrying no passengers, and Kreutzer was not injured.
Sheriff's reports said Mika, a Lawrence resident, was driving east about 4 p.m. on U.S. Highway 24-40, and Kreutzer was driving west. The accident occurred when Kreutzer tried to turn the school bus south onto 158th Street. The school bus hit the driver's door of Mika's car.
Sheriff's officers are trying to determine the exact cause of the accident and whether any charges will be filed, according to a sheriff's department representative.
More like this story
- Bill would prohibit public agencies and schools in Kansas from collecting union dues
- Bonner boutique combines shopping with day at the salon
- Creating a family: Agency seeks more foster families; greatest need in Wyandotte County
- 25 years on, disabilities act has changed lives of millions
- Kansas City Connection: Char Bar, Sleater-Kinney, Zubaz and giant Lego sculptures