Members of the local Knights of Columbus will sell Tootsie Rolls this weekend to help benefit people with mental retardation. The group will sell the treats at Friday night's Tonganoxie High School football game, and on Saturday at the Post Office, First State Bank and Trust's highway location, Community National Bank and B&J Country Mart. Donations also may be sent to Andy Gilner, local chairman, at 814 E. Eighth, Tonganoxie, 66086. Of the proceeds, 80 percent is returned to local councils to be donated to institutions of their choice, and the remaining 20 percent is used by the state council of the Knights of Columbus to sponsor the Special Olympics basketball tournament each spring at Fort Hays State University and for religious education of people with mental retardation.
Ella Tayrien will be guest speaker at the regular Leavenworth County Republican Women's Club at 11:30 p.m. Monday at Western Sizzlin', 5041 S. Fourth St. Trafficway, Leavenworth. Tayrien will discuss the swimming pool issue on the November ballot. All Republicans are welcome.
The Basehor United Methodist Women's Organization will hold a Chili and Chicken Noodle Soup Dinner and a Bake Sale/Crafts Sale on Oct. 27. The event will be from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Basehor United Methodist Church Activity Center, 2826 N. 156th Terrace (one block west of Casey's). Admission is $5 for adults and $3 for children ages 10 and younger, along with a donation of a non-perishable food item for "Round-up for Hunger." Money raised will be used to help send children to church camp and to support local and global ministries.
More like this story
- Education focus: JCCC CDL training puts students in the driver's seat for a new career
- Kansas allows driver's license changes for same-sex spouses
- Kansas Supreme Court: Law on sobriety tests is unconstitutional
- Northwest Kansas digs out from major winter storm
- Tests conducted on highway leading to abandoned mining town