Bridge work starts; road project delayed
The road over the dam of the Leavenworth State Fishing Lake is expected to remain closed until the end of November.
Larry Lentz, manager of the lake, said the road was closed in September so that work could begin on the construction of a new bridge. The old bridge was built in 1932 when the lake was new.
"It had gotten in pretty bad shape and they decided to replace the whole thing," Lentz said.
The replacement, which includes widening the bridge from one lane to two lanes, is a Kansas Department of Transpor-tation project, he said.
L.G. Barcus and Sons, a Kansas City, Kan., firm is handling the $148,209 deck-replacement project.
Meanwhile, bid letting for work Evans Road and County Road 25 has been postponed for two months, said David Luggen, deputy director of public works.
County officials still are acquiring right of way, Luggen said. The bid letting will be in December. Luggen said he expects work to begin next spring. The project is expected to take 60 days to complete.
Plans include widening Evans Road on the east and west approaches, cutting down a hill on the east, adding new shoulders and installing left turn lanes.
On County Road 25, six-foot shoulders will be added. The project will be administered by the Kansas Department of Transpor-tation, and 90 percent of the $650,000 cost will be funded through a federal grant, with the county paying the remaining 10 percent.
More like this story
- Analysis: Kansas GOP lawmakers set up debate on higher taxes
- Kansas Legislature mulls slashing green energy incentives
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Brownback urges Kansas House to pass GOP school funding plan
- Kansas school funding plan aimed at ending budget surprises