Bonner Springs teen killed in accident
A 16-year-old Bonner Springs boy was killed in a one-vehicle accident last Thursday just west of Bonner Springs.
John Wayne Dean Jr. was driving a vehicle west on Metro Avenue about 2 p.m. when he lost control of the vehicle on gravel. The vehicle left the road and overturned. Dean was ejected.
Three passengers in the vehicle, all of whom were wearing seatbelts, were taken to Providence Medical Center with minor injuries. The passengers were Dean's 10-year-old brother, Zachary; Robert B. Sweeney, 13, and Michael R. Sweeney, 12, who lived across the street from the Dean brothers.
According to Leavenworth County sheriff's reports, excessive speed was a contributing factor in the accident. Alcohol use is not suspected, reports said.
More like this story
- Kansas student says flying Confederate flag not meant to be racist
- Not trusting 'the feds,' Kansas House gives first approval to new constitutional convention
- Some Wichita city officials open to discuss Confederate flag
- Kansas Democrats see close race between Clinton, Sanders
- Kansas House to consider stiffening scrap theft penalties