Freshman serves all 15 points
Teammates have been known to yell "rotate" during volleyball matches.
The Tonganoxie volleyball team found no need to speak that word Sept. 6 when Ashlee Murphy served 15 points in a 15-0 win against Piper in Leavenworth.
Murphy, who has played volleyball since elementary school, said she had gone too far to not serve the entire game.
"I knew I had to make the last one, otherwise I'd be mad at myself," Murphy said.
Most of the points were aces, and her success drew praise from teacher Chris Herron.
"Mr. Herron calls me 'Stud' now," Murphy said.
Having success with the serve didn't surprise freshmen coach LeAnn Bond.
"She rarely misses a serve," Bond said. "She's mainly a 100 percent server."
Bond said Murphy is a strong all-around player, but the perfect serving helped her earn a reward from her coach.
Before serving the final point, Murphy asked Bond what she'd get if she served the final point.
"She asked for a new car," Bond said. "That wasn't going to happen. Then she said a pizza party. I can handle that."
Perhaps Murphy will be serving that as well.
More like this story
- Kansas lawmakers' tax plan makes numerous policy changes
- Tonganoxie City Council holds off on excise tax decision for church
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Appeals court upholds Kansas cap on local school taxes
- Top Kansas GOP lawmakers to unveil school funding proposal