Obituary: Edward James Bates
Services for Edward "Ed" Bates, Basehor, were held Sunday, Aug. 18, 2002, at the Alden-Harrington Funeral Home, Bonner Springs. Burial was in the Glenwood Cemetery.
Mr. Bates, 73, died Thursday, Aug, 15, 2002, at St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, Mo. He was born Aug. 23, 1928, in Basehor, the son of Edward L. and Opal M. Bates. He graduated from Basehor High School in 1946 and married his wife, Eva, in 1948. They owned and operated the Bates Nursery in Basehor for more than 50 years. Mr. Bates was the charter president of the Basehor Lions Club. He was a member of the Leavenworth Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie 55, and of the Kansas Nurseryman Association.
He is survived by his wife of the home; two daughters, Connie J. Wodlinger, Houston; Judy A. Rich, Basehor; a son, Wade Bates, Basehor; a brother, Charles L. Bates, Basehor; and five grandchildren. A sister, Shirley J. Bates, preceded him in death in 1945.
More like this story
- Garden City woman pleads not guilty in marijuana case
- Man pleads guilty in death of Kansas State Fair worker slain over haircut visit
- Kansas man sentenced for 17th drunken driving conviction
- Junction City man gets life for operating cocaine ring
- Man sentenced to 13 years for shooting clerk in Topeka