Obituary: Edward James Bates
Services for Edward "Ed" Bates, Basehor, were held Sunday, Aug. 18, 2002, at the Alden-Harrington Funeral Home, Bonner Springs. Burial was in the Glenwood Cemetery.
Mr. Bates, 73, died Thursday, Aug, 15, 2002, at St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, Mo. He was born Aug. 23, 1928, in Basehor, the son of Edward L. and Opal M. Bates. He graduated from Basehor High School in 1946 and married his wife, Eva, in 1948. They owned and operated the Bates Nursery in Basehor for more than 50 years. Mr. Bates was the charter president of the Basehor Lions Club. He was a member of the Leavenworth Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie 55, and of the Kansas Nurseryman Association.
He is survived by his wife of the home; two daughters, Connie J. Wodlinger, Houston; Judy A. Rich, Basehor; a son, Wade Bates, Basehor; a brother, Charles L. Bates, Basehor; and five grandchildren. A sister, Shirley J. Bates, preceded him in death in 1945.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie man sentenced to more than 3 years for drugs, robbery charges
- Leavenworth man gives guilty plea in battery case
- Garden City woman pleads not guilty in marijuana case
- Leavenworth County inmate sentenced to more than 10 years
- Man pleads guilty in death of Kansas State Fair worker slain over haircut visit