Obituary: Doris Lorene Powell
Services for Doris Lorene Powell, 82, Guthrie Center, Iowa, were Monday, Dec. 30, 2002, at Rumsey-Yost Funeral Home in Lawrence. Burial will be in Memorial Park Cemetery, Lawrence.
Mrs. Powell died last Wednesday, Dec. 25, 2002, at a Des Moines, Iowa, hospital. She was born March 2, 1920, in Stanberry, Mo., the daughter of Phillip Chester and Mary Ella (Moore) Walker.
She moved to Lawrence in 1937 from Springfield, Mo. She worked at Menorah Medical Center in Kansas City, Mo., and Lawrence Memorial Hospital before she worked as a cook manager for Wakarusa Valley Elementary School. She retired in 1990.
Because of declining health, she moved in March 1996 to Guthrie Center, Iowa, to be near her daughter.
She was a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
She married Bradford Hayes Powell on Oct. 23, 1949, in Lawrence. He died in 1975.
Survivors include a daughter, Glenda Bascom, Guthrie Center, Iowa; a son, Kirk Powell, Lincoln, Neb; three brothers, Samuel Walker, Palisade, Colo., Wesley Walker, Fort Smith, Ark., and Norman Walker, Tonganoxie; a sister, Eva Kelso, Cincinnati, Ohio; and six grandchildren.
The family suggests memorial contributions to Seventh-day Adventist Church, sent in care of the funeral home, 601 Indiana Street, Lawrence, 66044.
On-line condolences may be sent to www.rumsey-yost.com.
More like this story
- Wichita State gets $5 million, mostly for honors college
- Accomplished musicians to perform Sunday at First Congregational Church of Tonganoxie
- Tonganoxie senior earns K-State's Putnam Scholarship
- Tonganoxie Elementary School wins state title in Music Memory
- Tonganoxie High student follows in siblings' footsteps, attends Alabama space camp