Tonganoxie’s nursing center celebrates Valentine’s Day
The Tonganoxie Nursing Center's most esteemed "couple" was crowned on Valentine's Day.
Tom Peppard and Ruth Garrison, nursing center residents, were crowned this year's king and queen at the nursing center Thursday morning. Staff members voted for the royalty, and no one was more surprised than the king or queen.
"Terribly so," Garrison said.
The king and queen were each given a box of chocolates, a chocolate rose and a teddy bear.
The two didn't have any plans for the holiday, but Peppard's daughter, Carolyn Hummelgaard, joked about what Tom would do on Valentine's Day.
"He'll enjoy his reign and have fried chicken for dinner," Hummelgard said.
Otis Box and Norma Burke were named king and queen runners-up as well.
Residents received valentine cookies during the presentation, and Debbie Lewis, activities director, handed out Valentine cards to all residents. Lewis said a local 4-H group and Tonganoxie churches provided Valentine's for the center.
More like this story
- Kansas City International Airport expansion plan gets new look from architects
- First land bank lots from Fort Riley overbuilding to be sold
- Another viable senior living option in Tonganoxie?
- Tonganoxie City Council puts hold on rezoning vote
- Linenberger: Repurposing former Tonganoxie Elementary School worth a look