Archive for Tuesday, July 2, 2002

Remember when: a community review

July 2, 2002

10 years ago: July 8, 1992

Mother Nature caused a postponement of the Fourth of July celebration in Basehor until July 11. (Pictured were Bev Dumler, Mary Ohler and Susan Guy, all former Basehor Citizens of the Year who rode in the Fourth of July parade.)

Master Jeff DeMaranville celebrated his fourth birthday last Sunday at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Vince DeMaranville.

Mary Waterman, an artist, has some of her paintings and hand-painted porcelain on display at the Phil Starke Art Gallery in Branson, Mo. On Sunday, she and her husband, Don, drove down for the open house at the gallery.

25 years ago: July 6, 1977

(Picture) Back in the "Good Old Days," a young fellow took his favorite girl on a date in the latest auto, like this 1920 Model T Ford that will be sold July 10 at the Tom and Sissie Garrison Sale on Highway 16.

(Picture) Chris Brown, Tonganoxie, has just returned from Kansas City, Mo., where he successfully completed the course in auctioneering and auction sales management at the Missouri Auction School.

Todd Lux, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Lux, has been vacationing in California and Alaska.

Mr. and Mrs. John Christopher of Manhattan, Kan., were weekend guest of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Mahoney and family.

50 years ago:

July 17, 1952

Birth: Mr. and Mrs. Ohmer Kaiser of Chicago announce the birth on June 28 of a daughter, to whom they have given the name, Barbara Diane.

Basehor: Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Stephenson of La Cygne, were called here by the death of his mother, Alice Stephenson.

The new Standard service station at the highway junction is nearing completion. It will be operated by Mike Seymour.

Stevie Oakson, not yet 3, son of Mr. and Mrs. Bob Oakson, had an audience at the pool when he dove off the high diving board into nine-foot water. His dad was in the water to fish him out.

Paul Heywood and wife from Oskaloosa, Iowa, spent the weekend with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Heywood, to help celebrate his grandfather, Mr. Fred Heywood's 81st birthday which was Sunday.

Mrs. Theckla Needham fell at her home Saturday the 5th of July, about five o'clock in the evening. After an examination by the doctor, a bone in the left wrist was found broken.

Birth: Mr. and Mrs. Marlin Robinson of Topeka announce the birth of a son, July 9th. They have named him Creighton Ball Robinson.

75 years ago:

June 30, 1927

Lindberg reaped the glory, but someone built a ship that took him across the Atlantic.

Pleasant Valley: Word was received Tuesday morning of the birth of a son to Mr. and Mrs. George Hawkins of Kansas City. Mrs. Hawkins was formerly Miss Beulah Wickey.

Hoge: Mr. and Mrs. John Sparks took little Joe Louise to Dr. Coe for whooping cough Sunday. She is improving since the started the treatments.

C.H. Cain installed a new Knight soda fountain in his drug store the first of the week. The Tennessee marble front is very attractive in the variegated style of light and dark gray in color. This is something new in the fountain line. The Frigidaire system is used.

Stranger: Mr. and Mrs. Robert Still received word Sunday of the birth of a daughter or Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Duncanson of Ogden. Mrs. Duncanson will be remembers as Miss Stella Still.

Mound: Kirby McRill was a caller Sunday evening at the Ed Shrimplin home.

Ad: FOR SALE. Young Chicken backs, 15 cents per doz. Myers' Hotel.

Mound: Fred Needham and Elmer Jones of the Tonganoxie Township board were in this vicinity Monday with a factory man, starting the new caterpillar tractor, which the board recently purchased to use in grading the roads.

Faye Brown, Leon Kirby, Ruth Klinkenberg and Joy and Foy Brown and Miss Doris Trackwell of Boling enjoyed a picnic at Fairyland Park, in Kansas City, Sunday.

100 years ago: July 10, 1902

Ackerland: Mrs. John Herries is suffering from inflammation of the lining of the brain and her condition seems to be very precarious. It requires someone constantly watching her.

The Mirror office has moved to the storeroom formerly occupied by Henry Geib, and the Mirror was printed in the new quarters this week. More than a score of years have passed since the Mirror started but this is only the second time the office has moved.

J.C. Huston, Leavenworth, swallowed four of his false teeth, and may not survive from his internal injuries.

Fred Haug, Leavenworth, the leader of Tonganoxie's first band, and at one time a blacksmith here and maker of a giant cannon to kill geese, was one of the picnic visitors to Tonganoxie. He was accompanied by his wife, and Mr. and Mrs. Phillips.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.