Obituary: Donald R. Smith
Services for Donald R. Smith, 78, Tonganoxie, a former Kansas City, Kan., resident, were Saturday, July 13, 2002, at Highland Park Funeral Home, Kansas City, Kan. Burial was in Highland Park Cemetery.
Mr. Smith died July 9, 2002, at Providence Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan. He was born Feb. 28, 1924, in Edwardsville and was a lifelong resident of the area who moved three years ago to Tonganoxie. He was a switchman and later a car master for the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad. He was a Marine Corps veteran of World War II. And he was a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, Aerie No. 87.
His wife, Grace E. Smith died in 1992, and a son, Michael D. Smith, died in 1976.
Survivors include two daughters, Donna R. Bartholomew, Tonganoxie, and Lynn M. Smith, Kansas City, Mo.; a brother, Richard E. Smith, Lake Viking, Mo.; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
The family suggests memorial contributions to Cancer Action Inc., sent in care of the funeral home, 3801 State Ave., Kansas City, Kan., 66102.
More like this story
- Officials fear Kansas is complacent about tornado season
- What's on your (license) plate?
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation