Youth fare well in Hersey state meet
The softball throw and sprints were Tonganoxie youths' forte during the State Hersey Track and Field Meet on July 5 and 6 in Emporia.
Tonganoxie representatives placed four times in the softball throw, while two competed in the 400 meters and another in the 800.
Jessica Stinson, with a throw of 82-3, took sixth in the 9-10 girls' softball throw. Melissa Rome also took sixth in the 11-12 girls' softball throw with a 123-11.5 throw. Chrissie Jeannin also competed, taking 15th with a 97-3.5 throw.
Michael Rome rounded out the softball throw participation, heaving a 137-10 throw for ninth. Rome was the only male competitor from Tonganoxie at the event.
In the running events, Jeannin and Melissa Rome also competed, taking seventh and 11th respectively in the 11-12 girls' 400. Jeannin had a 1:15.94 time. Rome, meanwhile, finished with a 1:17.32 time.
In the other Tonganoxie event, Jeannin took seventh in the 11-12 800 as well. Jeannin finished with a 3:07.63 time.
More like this story
- Leavenworth County commissioners revoke bond support for proposed Tyson chicken plant near Tonganoxie
- Kansas Statehouse roiled by 'religious freedom' issue
- Kansas gay rights bill sparks debate in legislative committee
- Kansas House, Senate panels approve judicial budget bill
- Kansas Senate advances energy, elections, gambling proposals