Band man’s leadership spreads in community
Mr. Van, the band man, is at it again.
Charles VanMiddlesworth the Tonganoxie band teacher known simply as Mr. Van circulated word that he would like to start a city band. The idea was to bring together some folks, regardless of their age, to form the Tonganoxie Community Band. About 30 people heeded the call, and turned up for a Tuesday night rehearsal.
Mr. Van was pleased with both the turnout and the quality of the players. And the musicians, some of whom hadn't played an instrument for several decades, clearly enjoyed themselves.
The plan is for the band to play a concert on July 2 at VFW Park. The concert will feature an old-fashioned ice cream social, as well as games for children. It should be a wonderful community event.
It also would be an opportunity for members of the community to thank Mr. Van for his continued work here. He's transformed the school's band program. Students are eager to be a part of the band.
And now, he's involved even more of the community in music. As he says, "I love band." It's obvious. And his enthusiasm is contagious.
It's also good for Tonganoxie.
More like this story
- Kansas district court judge sues over state law on courts
- Kansas court considers handling of school funding lawsuit
- Kansas school funding dispute heading back to high court
- Linwood man sentenced to nearly a decade in prison for attempted rape, attempted aggravated criminal sodomy
- Judge won't hear retrial of man who punched his attorney